Environmental guidance for your business in Northern Ireland & Scotland

1 - 12 of 182
Page  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  11>>  of 16 | Next

  Waste carriers, brokers and dealers

…(SEPA) as a waste carrier. Controlled waste includes commercial, industrial and household waste, as well as hazardous waste. Most radioactive wastes and explosive wastes are controlled by other regulations. Radioactive substances and waste All businesses can register as waste carriers including… read more

  Waste carriers - Who needs to register

waste, you must register with the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA) or the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA) as a waste carrier. Controlled waste includes commercial, industrial and household waste, as well as hazardous waste. Most radioactive wastes and explosive wastes are… read more

  About waste management licences


You may need a waste management licence if you carry out these activities on your land or use a vehicle or mobile plant such as a mobile incinerator.

You are unlikely to need a waste management licence if you only store waste that you produce and an authorised waste carrierread more

  Waste management licences

…need for licence holders to have a certificate of technical competence. Requires businesses carrying their own waste to register as waste carriers. Waste (Scotland) Regulations 2011 SSI 226 Enables the partial suspension, revocation, transfer and surrender of site licences, and allows licences held… read more

  Waste carriers' responsibilities

…you want to transport controlled waste, you must register as a waste carrier with the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA) and comply with your duty of care. From 8 April 2011, new regulations introduced a two-tier registration system for waste carriers.

Upper tier registrations are… read more

  Biofuels for transport

…collecting waste vegetable oil If you collect and transport waste vegetable oil, for example used cooking oil, for the production of biodiesel then you will need to be a registered waste carrier and follow your duty of care for waste. Duty of care – your waste responsibilities Waste carriers brokers… read more


licence holders to have a certificate of technical competence.Requires businesses carrying their own waste to register as Professional Carriers and Transporters of Waste. Waste Management Regulations 1996 SI 634 Exempts certain activities relating to scrap metal and waste motor vehicles from wasteread more

  Hazardous / special waste

…permit, waste management licence or a registered exemption that authorises them to take that type of waste for the activity they intend. You can contact the NIEA to check if your carrier is registered or has an exemption. NIEA Waste carriers information contact details DAERA: Waste Management… read more

  Does your business need a permit, licence or exemption?

…PPC Permits Waste management licence or registered exemption if you carry out certain waste management activities or use waste mobile plant: Waste management licences Hazardous/special waste notification if you move hazardous waste: Hazardous/special waste Waste carrier or broker registration… read more

  More waste materials (E-W)

wastes Water UK: Water and sewerage operators Check if you need a permit to burn waste oil If you burn waste oil in an appliance you may need a pollution prevention and control (PPC) permit, waste management licence or exemption. Pollution prevention and control permits Waste management licences You… read more


…grants and licences * Forestry trade associations * Vehicle emissions * Duty of care - Your waste responsibilities * Hazardous / special waste * Forestry waste * Sewage sludge - landspreading * Waste - landspreading * Preventing water pollution * Trade effluent – Managing liquid wastes * Irrigation… read more

  Animal boarding and care

…business waste * Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) * Find your nearest waste site * Agricultural waste * Dead animals - disposal * Horse manure * Offensive waste * Anaerobic digestion * Preventing water pollution * Septic tanks * Trade effluent – Managing liquid wastes * Water use… read more

Whats new on NetRegs

  • Waste – Duty of Care Roles and Responsibilities

    The Northern Ireland Environment Agency has published a short guide to the duty of care responsibilities including advice and information for waste producers, carriers and those accepting, storing and treating waste.


  • Please let us know your thoughts on our new website

    What do you think about our new and improved website. We want your feedback on what you like, what you don’t like and ways we can continue to improve the website. Follow the link to complete the very short survey: NetRegs website – User feedback

  • NEW guidance on Environmental Management Systems

    We have recently updated and improved our guidance on Environmental Management Systems (EMS). You can find the guidance via the Environmental Topics tab or alternatively select the following link Environmental Management Systems (EMS).

  • Consultation on proposed changes to the packaging recycling business targets

    See NI Future legislation or Scotland Future legislation for details of the Consultation

  • NetRegs SMEnvironment survey 2016

    NetRegs has carried out a survey of environmental awareness among SMEs. There are separate reports for Scotland and Northern Ireland.

  • NIEA Guidance - Greenfield Excavated Matrials in Construction

    NIEA and the CEF have developed a Regulatory Position to promote Sustainable re-use of natural excavated material from Greenfield sites.

    NIEA: Guidance on the Regulation of Greenfield Excavated Materials in Construction and Development

  • New GPP 2 Above Ground Oil Storage

    The replacements for the PPGs are being developed. Now available GPP 2 Above Ground Oil Storage

  • SEPA Consultation on an Intergated Authorisation Framework

    SEPA is asking for your views on the proposals for integrated authorisations.

    Consultation documents

  • GPP 24 Stables, Kennels and Catteries

    NEW GPP 24 now available: Stables, Kennels and Catteries

  • ENDS Award Shortlist

    NetRegs has been nominated for 3 ENDS Awards with the result being revealed on the 4th of May.

  • NetRegs wins an ENDS Environmental Impact Award

    Knowledge development category winners, see the END Awards

  • EIA (Agriculture) Regulations for Northern Ireland

    Any person intending to alter the use or management of areas of uncultivated or semi-natural land must obtain prior approval from the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA).

    Read more on the DAERA website

  • Download our NEW leaflet today: Duty of Care for waste

    NetRegs have produced a new leaflet for Scottish businesses explaining what you must do to comply with YOUR duty of care for waste.

    Duty of Care for waste (Scotland) leaflet (PDF - 775KB)


NetRegs on NetRegs on youTube

View our latest videos & subscribe to our channel.

NetRegs Update Newsletter

Free monthly email newsletter with environmental updates for Northern Ireland and Scotland

Sign up for free today!


NIEA - Apply online

SEPA - Application forms